Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Twinings of London in partnership with the Mom It Forward Influencer Network. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Finding Time in Your Busy Schedule to Focus on Yourself
It’s that time of year for us moms, the whirlwind of the holiday season is behind us and we may just be able to take a breath before Easter and spring cleaning starts.
It always feels like I’m being pulled in a million directions, the house needs to be cleaned yet I should be at my desk working, but then who’s taking the kids to sports, and so on. I know taking even just a moment to focus on myself can leave me feeling guilty, but we have to remember if we don’t take care of ourselves how can we take care of the ones we love?
My favorite way to de-stressed is to curl up with a hot cup of tea and watch a movie or read a book. Since high-school, this has been my go-to easy way to relax, so I am excited to be teaming up with Twinings of London Tea to bring you my helpful mom tips.
As soon as I make a steaming cup of tea and curl up on the couch, I am immediately relaxed as my mind wanders off thinking about having tea with my Nana as a child and how my best friend would make me tea every Wednesday night all through high-school when we’d have sleepovers.
However, when we are being pulled in a million directions it is hard to find that time to sit and recharge. So, us moms need to steal the moments when we can.
Here are my 5 easy tips to find time for yourself:
1. Put the kids to bed early! This is so important in my house, this gives me time to clean up from the day, finish up some work, and most importantly destress and recharge myself. Plus, kids need those extra hours of sleep to grow and learn. The National Sleep Foundation recommends kids ages 6-13 get 9-11 hours of sleep. I usually need 7, that gives me between 2 and 4 hours of time.
Granted that is on a smooth day when my children go to sleep like clockwork, it’s not an every night thing, but when it goes as planned I am so grateful.
2. Lock your bedroom door. Seriously, if your children are old enough, mine are 8 and 12, take 15 minutes and hide in your bedroom. Tell them not to bother you unless it is a real emergency. Kids will interrupt us while we use the phone, take a shower, and even while we are on the toilet, it does not make you a bad mom to put yourself in time out!
3. Get Some Outside Help. Do you live close to your kid’s friends? Or have some awesome neighbors? Trade of 30 minutes of child care to give each other a quick break. My neighbor and I used to take turns watching the kids play together outside so that we could each have some quiet time.
4. Get up early. This one doesn’t work for me, I am so not a morning person but all my mommy friends swear by it. Get up before the kids, sit in the quiet and enjoy a cup of tea as the sun comes up.
5. The electronic babysitter. I know this has been controversial since the first technology with a screen was invented, but I honestly feel that in moderation screen time can be a sanity saver for busy moms. If you are pulling your hair out from a super hard day, put on your kid’s favorite movie while you make yourself a cup of tea and read a book, or give your child the tablet and let them play some games while you take a long shower. You will be able to breathe and re-center yourself so that at the end of that little break, you are fully charged and able to go back to being the amazing mom you are!
It’s Tea Time!
Now that you have a few breaks in your day to enjoy yourself, let’s talk tea! If your going to take some quality me time and enjoy a cup of tea, make sure it’s a good tea! Twinings of London has been providing quality tea for more than 300 years, starting in 1706, when Thomas Twining opened the House of Twining in London with his vision to sell only the finest teas, herbs, and infusions.
Now Twinings of London Tea is available at your local grocer and I have had at least a few boxes in my cabinet at all times for as long as I can remember. However, just because we don’t have to travel to London to get a box of tea that doesn’t mean you’re sacrificing any of its amazing taste. There are nine Twinings master blenders that travel the world to find only the best teas, spices, herbs, and fruit infusions to guarantee the perfect balance of taste, flavor, and aroma. I love the 17 herbal flavor options they offer including the latest herbal blends Lemon Delight, Berry Fusion, and Buttermint.
What is your favorite Twinings of London Tea?