Create a Lion with this DIY Playdough Recipe
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH
HOW TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO ASSEMBLE LION Out of DIY Playdough
How TO Make Playdough LION
- - DIY Playdough Materials
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Food coloring - orange, yellow and black
- - Materials to Create Lion
- Orange, yellow and black DIY playdough
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners - orange, yellow and black
- Medium black pom pom
- Black perler beads
- Small playdough rolling pin (optional)
- Mixing Bowl
- Sauce Pan
- Add the flour, salt, and cream of tartar to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the water and vegetable oil to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add the flour and salt mixture to the hot water and stir until a stiff ball of dough forms. Remove from saucepan and allow to cool on your workspace for 5 minutes.
- Pull apart a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball and set aside. Divide the remaining dough in half.
- Add yellow and orange food coloring to the 2 large dough pieces. Add black food coloring to the smaller dough piece. Knead each piece of dough until the color is distributed.
- Store in an airtight Ziploc bag until ready to use.
Create A Lion from DIY Playdough
- Pull apart 2 small pieces of yellow playdough about the size of a grape and set aside.
- Roll the remaining yellow playdough into a large circle. This will be the lion’s head.
- For the ears, flatten the 2 smaller pieces of yellow playdough and attach to the top of the head. To make the inner ears, pull apart 2 small pieces of the orange playdough (about the size of a marble) and flatten out. Place inside each ear.
- Add 2 googly eyes and a black pom pom for the nose. If you do not have a black pom pom, use a small amount of the black playdough to shape into a nose and place on the lion’s face.
- Add 3 black perler beads on each side of the nose. Or, you can use the black playdough and roll it into six miniature balls.
- For the lion’s mouth, use scissors to cut 2 small pieces from a black pipe cleaner (about 1 1/2 inches long). Place one of the pieces going straight down from the nose to the chin. Curve the second piece and place it directly under the first piece (see picture).
- Cut out six 6” pieces of yellow and orange pipe cleaners (12 pieces total). Bend each piece in half and gently insert all around the diameter of the lions head.