Surprise Magic Rainbow Rocks Craft for Kids Who Love Science
St. Patrick’s Day is coming up soon, are you still looking for some fun crafts and activities to do with the kids this week? These Magic Rainbow Rocks have a cool surprise inside that the kids will love.
You can make these surprise magical rocks in any color you want, but to keep with the St. Patrick’s Day fun we went with a rainbow theme. However, it would also be a fun idea to do them in actual rock colors and find them outside. Or do them for other holidays and change up the surprise inside.
When you make them for St. Patrick’s Day, let your kids know that they are a special treat left by the leprechauns!
Surprise Magic Rainbow Rocks
Plastic gold coins
1. Gather several bowls. We used disposable bowls, but you can use non-disposable if you wish. Using a plastic spoon, put 5 spoonfuls of baking soda into each bowl, one for each color you would like to make.
2. Using the same plastic spoon, add 4-5 spoonfuls of water into each bowl with the baking soda.
3. Mix the baking soda and water mixture well. You do not want the baking soda mixture to be runny. It needs to be on the drier side, but still wet enough to mold into a shape.
4. Add one drop of food coloring to each bowl to create different colors of baking soda mixture. Mix well to distribute the coloring evenly in the mixture.
5. If any of the mixtures in the bowls are too wet, simply sprinkle in some additional baking soda a little at a time until it forms soft crumbles that can be molded into shape.
6. Place a little of one color of baking soda mixture in your hand and form a small flat pancake. Top it with a plastic gold coin, and then use another bit of the same color of baking soda mixture to cover the coin up, and form the mixture in your hand into a ball that is surrounding the gold coin.
7. Repeat step 6 until you have magic rainbow rocks in each color you wish to make.
8. Place the rocks on a tin foil lined plate and place them into the freezer for at least 1 hour, and up to overnight.
9. When you are ready to use them, remove the magic rainbow rocks from the freezer, and let little ones drop them into a bowl filled with vinegar. They will get to see a magical reaction, and then a gold coin surprise will appear!
This looks like a fun idea to surprise the kids with for St Patty’s Day and maybe even Easter too. I bet they would like to find some special gold pieces.
That’s so cute! I used to love to do little crafty things like this with my kids when they were little. They had a lot of fun, and I used it to teach them science.
These are fun! My daughter would have fun making these!
Now, this is pretty neat! I know that my oldest son would love this activity.
How fun! I will have fun making those pretty rocks myself. Love how colorful they are too!
This is a really good craft. I love making crafts with my daughters. This seems very simple, which is great for my girls. Will have to make these with them soon.
My girls would love to make these! They like to do fun crafts and video them for YouTube.
I am going to have to try this. My kids would LOVE it, plus I think it would be kinda cool myself.